Giuseppe Gambolati is professor of Numerical Methods in Engineering in the School of Engineering of the University of Padova. He is the author of about 300 scientific papers in internationally refereed journals, books and proceedings, and two books of Numerical Analysis and Numerical Methods in Engineering and Applied Sciences which are used as textbooks for both undergraduate and graduate courses in the University of Padova. With Pietro Teatini he is the author the book “VENICE SHALL RISE AGAIN” (Elsevier, 100 pp, 2014) that provides an overview of the project to raise Venice by injecting seawater into a 650-1000 deep geologic formations underlying the lagoon. He was the recipient of the 2008 IACMAG excellent contributions award for “significant contributions in research, academic activities and professional service in different regions of the globe”. He is FELLOW of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) for “his unique and seminal contributions to geomechanical aspects of subsurface fluid flow”. He was also appointed “Commendatore” of the order to the merit of the Italian Republic by the President Giorgio Napolitano. His research and professional activity are mainly concerned with studies of natural and anthropogenic land subsidence, groundwater flow, and subsurface contaminant transport, and the development, validation and implementation of the corresponding numerical methods and models in real world problems.
- Gambolati G. (ed)., CENAS, Coastline Evolution of th Upper Adriatic Sea due to Sea Level Rise and Natural and Anthropogenic Land Subsidence, Kluwer Academic, 344 pp, 1998.
- Gambolati G. M. Putti and C. Paniconi, Three-Dimensional Model of Coupled Density- Dependent Flow and Miscible Salt Transport in Groundwater, , in "Seawater Intrusion in Coastal Aquifers: Concepts, Methods and Practices”, Chapter 8, J. Bear et al (eds), Kluwer Academic Pub., Dordrecht, 315-362, 1999.
- Gambolati G., P. Teatini and M. Ferronato, Anthropogenic Land Subsidence, Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences, Chapter 158, Vol IV, M.G. Anderson (ed), J. Wiley, 2444-2459, 2005.
- Camporese M., G. Gambolati, M. Putti and P. Teatini, Peatland Subsidence in the Venice Watershed, in “Peatlands: basin evolution and records on global environmental and climatic changes”, Chapter 23, I.P. Martini et al (eds), Elsevier Publ., 529-550, 2006.
- Gambolati G. and P. Teatini, Venice shall rise again-Engineered uplift of Venice through seawater injection. CD-ROM,132 pp., EnviroComp Pub., Fremont (CA), 2013. Also, Elsevier Publ., ISBN=9780124201446, 100 pp., 2014.